The window for applications for our School Direct Primary 'PGCE' programme 2022 - 2023 is open from the 12 October 2021.
It is our vision that all children across our networks of schools will have a first-class, innovative education.
We provide School Direct (PGCE) Initial Teacher Training (ITT) for primary education to help ensure future generations of teachers become outstanding practitioners.
We are offering applicants places on our Primary 5-11 School Direct, PGCE programme. The recommendation for QTS certification is made by North Wiltshire SCITT (NWSCITT) and PGCE (with 60 Masters credits) is awarded by Bath Spa University. Many of our previous trainees have been offered employment in schools within Pickwick Learning Partnership Schools following training.
We work with a wide network of partnership schools across Wiltshire and in Bristol, Bath and South Gloucestershire. Finding a school for you to train in that works well for you is a priority for us and we organise this in partnership between you and the school.
Why train to teach with us?
• Work in partnership with us, helping to inform decisions about which schools you’ll be placed in
• Learn to teach ‘on the job’, observing and working alongside enthusiastic, experienced practitioners based in schools from day 1
• Undertake placements in a range of schools gradually building up the quantity of teaching as you develop your skills and experience (terms 1, 2, 5 & 6 in school 1 and terms 3 & 4 in school 2)
• Work with peers and colleagues in a variety of settings to gain wider experience of educational provision
• Benefit from individual and specialist support from an in-house mentor on school placements and from dedicated and personal support through the team at Pickwick Learning
• Seek financial support from Tuition Fee Loans (Trainees can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees (£9250) and a maintenance grant / loan to help with living costs) - More information can be found at www.slc.co.uk
• Train collaboratively through central training provided by current practitioners, specialist leaders of education and experts in their field in Pickwick, in partnership with NWSCITT and Bath Spa University as well as through personalised training in school
• Pickwick Learning trainees on this route are registered as students of Bath Spa University for the duration of the course and have access to their online library and their online library and their VLE site (Minerva).
• Learn more about our ITT Programme and how to apply here
What we are looking for – Eligibility criteria
• Clear passion for working with children
• Strong skills in organisation and time management
• A clear and realistic understanding around the financial implications of the programme and a commitment to success
• 2:2 Honours degree or above, achieved or predicted
• A subject knowledge course may be needed if the degree is in a subject not conducive to teacher training.
• GCSE English Language C / level 4 (achieved), GCSE Maths C / level 4 (achieved), GCSE Science C / level 4 (achieved), Core GCSE equivalents listed by NCTL, e.g. O levels, or successful equivalency tests (e.g. via https://www.bcu.ac.uk/education-and-social-work/initial-teacher-training/gcse-equivalency-test/gcse-equivalency-tests-non-bcu-applicants or www.equivalencytesting.com (achieved). Access students will be asked to take equivalency tests for GCSEs prior to application where these are not already in place.
• Pre-application experience: some recent UK primary school experience may be beneficial but is not vital
• Additional experience is an advantage, e.g. in a teaching environment with adults/ children, or work with children outside school/ outside UK
• A positive reference supporting entry to a primary PGCE from a university tutor, employer or school-based contact (where School Experience has been sought)
For more information on Initial Teacher Training (ITT) please come along to one of our virtual Pickwick Introduction Meet and Greet sessions. We are running these to help potential applicants learn more about us and the programme and to find out about the application process. Sessions take place throughout terms 1-5 (please see below for dates set so far) or contact Amy Tapscott (Director and School Direct ITT Lead): email@example.com
Please choose a date to attend a Meet and greet and book via this form . In order for us to process your request, please make sure it is submitted at least 24 hours prior to the event.
11 October 2021: 4-5pm
10 November 2021: 1.30-2.30pm
7 December 2021: 9.30-10.30pm
10 January 2022: 4-5pm
7 February 2022: 1.30-2.30pm
11 March 2022: 1.30-2.30pm
26 April 2022: 4-5pm